Re: xdm and user's profiles

On 11/11/99 Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
> >Non login shells use ~/.bashrc, while login shells use /etc/profile and
> >~/.bash_profile. I'm not sure I agree with this approach, but it's what
> >happens. So, just cobble together an appropriate .bashrc and all should be
> >well.

If .bash_profile doesn't exist, or if it sources .profile then bash
behaves the same way as other bourne shell implementations and uses
$HOME/.profile for login shells.

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 02:01:58AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> I do not like this solution, environment variables belong in
> .*profile and besides that there are system wide variables that
> should be loaded as well, in /etc/profile, one example: if the
> sysadmin changes the PATH in /etc/profile then xdm users will not
> benefit (unless he remembers to change the Xresource for XDM).

Personally, I always set up xsession so that it sources /etc/profile
and the user's .profile before setting up the user's x session.

This constrains what can go into those profile scripts, which makes it
a local administrative decision -- so I have to do it for every user
machine I set up.  But in the long run it's saved me a lot of time
and frustration.

And, in my opinion, there's really no need for elaborate question answer
activities at login.

[And, for "wrong default terminal" issues, I prefer to use a case "$TERM"
... over tset.]

--
Raul