xdm and user's profiles

I have noticed that when you login to a Debian system through xdm the system's /etc/profile and your own .*profile is not loaded, this is not the case on Redhat systems, I compared the system Xsession files and the only substantial difference I could find is that Redhat has #!/bin/bash -login in their Xsession which will start bash (version 1) as a login shell when executing the script which is probably how they profiles are properly loaded there. this does not work on Debian (I added #!/bin/bash --login since Debian uses bash 2 and Redhat uses bash 1)

I saw this was mentioned on the -user list before and the general suggestion was to start your *terms with the -ls option to start a login shell, there are however some issues with this solution:

if you start a *term from your window-manager's menus they will NOT be started with the -ls option, so you either must start one from the menu and then use it to start a new one with -ls or you must modify all your menus.

another potential(*) problem is if you have a X program which uses environment variables of some sort, if it is started from the window-manager's menus it will not get your profile information since that is only inherited from *terms run with -ls and not from the window-manger since it is unaware of your environment.
(*) while I have not yet encountered this, i see it as a possibility.

if the user adds programs to his own ~/bin he must create menus with the absolute pathname, none of the other menus are done this way why should the user's?

so far the only solution I have found is to add source /etc/profile and source .bash_profile (or whatever file goes with your preferred shell) to the user's .xsession before starting the window-manger.

I am wondering if there is a better solution to this? I think that Redhat's solution (if it worked with bash2) is not ideal since it probably does not load the right environment if the user uses a shell other then bash, I am not sure if something could be added to the global Xsession to check what the user's shell is and load the proper environments for it...

one way or another i think this behavior is broken, this is the only place where you must manually take special action to get your environment loaded correctly, either modify the system menu's or your .xsession script.

Best Regards,
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/