Re: ITP: Debian History

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 10:51:54AM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > btw: Now that the extra priority has been slightly clarified in policy:
> > Have we decided which httpd server will be "the optional one"? (all the
> > others should be extra).  It was suggested to make apache the optional
> > one. Do we need a general resolution to decide about this?
>
> No !!!!!
> Dont do this !!!!!
> It's horrible idea. Chosing THO ONLY PROPER (TM) ftpd, httpd etc.
> will only be the cause of war amongst maintainers and users.
> We should end the idea that ftpds, httpds conflicts each other.
> One might want to have cern-httpd at 80 and apache at 5080 or any
> other odd configuration.

Being optional is far away from being "The Only Proper(TM)".
The only "non-proper" ftpd, httpd, etc. are the ones in non-free.
All the other will still be in main.

We already do this for the "standard" MTA, and nobody says exim is "the
only proper(tm)". You are still free to install whatever MTA you like
most.

If you dislike current policy you are welcome to amend it.

Thanks.

--
 "9849ae023d318f69bde7d9c56374152a" (a truly random sig)