debconf and ssh problem

I just installed the latest ssh, but it wanted me to install debconf:

  Unpacking ssh (from .../ssh_1%3a1.2pre9-1_i386.deb) ...

  WARNING: ssh's pre-configuration script relies on debconf (0.2.17 or
  later) which is not currently installed.

  Without debconf you won't be warned about problems with your system,
  but unless you're going to have real problems if you lose ssh access
  to this machine (i.e. your doing a remote upgrade via ssh) then it
  probably doesn't matter.

  You may wish to cancel installing ssh for the moment, to give you a
  chance to install a recent copy of debconf.

  Do you want to install SSH anyway [yN]: n

So, I installed debconf. Now when I try to install ssh it says:

  subspace# apt-get install ssh
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
    ssh
  0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 303 not upgraded.
  Need to get 0B/206kB of archives. After unpacking 430kB will be used.

  stty: standard input: Invalid argument
  stty: standard input: Invalid argument
  100% [Scanning packages]
  Configuring packages ...
  Use of uninitialized value at /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 103, <GEN0> chunk 6.
  This shouldn't happen at /usr/lib/perl5/5.005/Text/Wrap.pm line 45, <GEN0> chunk 6.
  E: Sub-process dpkg-preconfig --apt returned an error code (255)
  E: Failure running script dpkg-preconfig --apt

I'm not sure what package this is a bug in, so I'm posting this on
debian-devel instead of to the BTS. Perhaps it is useful to someone.

Mike.
--
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.