Re: ITP: Debian History

On Mon 08 Nov 1999, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> In article <19991108181205.A13886@molehole> you wrote:
>
> > Oh, come on. Does anybody really browse the Optional and Extra package
> > lists in dselect anymore? I doubt it.
>
> Absolutely!  I mostly don't, but I've watched an awful lot of people install
> systems from disks I've loaned them, and almost all of them do some amount of
> trolling to see what's there.

Actually, the distinction between the different priorities (standard,
optional, extra) was totally lost on me the first couple of times I
installed debian. Only when I was becoming a debian developer and was
following discussions on the mailing lists did I really notice them.

At the time all that it did for me was make me wonder why dselect was
showing me the "net" section once again when I had already scrolled past
it once already... and again...  It's not like you can infer a tree-like
structure in dselect; some GUI, probably; dselect, no.

However, I've grown to love dselect in the meantime :-)

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/