Re: equivalent of *BSD's 'make world' in debian?

On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 12:36:37AM -0500, Chris Pimlott was heard to say:
> 	Actually, you'd probably want two different "built from source"
> flags.  One for built from source automatically with apt-get -b, in which
> it's okay for apt to automatically download newer versions and recompile
> it, and one for debs hand-built from source in which you do NOT want it to
> auto-compile new versions.  One of the common reason for building from
> source is when you have specific needs and need to modify the default
> compile options.  For example, I downloaded mesag3's source to compile a
> version to use glide on my 3dfx card.  I certainly wouldn't want it to
> automatically compile the next source version that comes along and be left
> with software GL.

  That's true.  Or you could just put these packages on hold (I do this with
fetchmail).

  What would be really nice of course would be the ability to save the compile
options and automagically reapply them, but until all programs use autoconf this
could be pretty hairy, not to mention problems with local patches (I also have
to patch the fetchmail source, its Kerberos support is totally broken by
default) and so on :-/

  Daniel

--
  Moths and flame.