Re: proftpd

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 12:28:18AM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
> Guess I'll use another ftp-server from now on, because I can't possibly
> defend using programs that behaves this way. I'm sorry, because I really
> liked proftd, but my disk-space is limited, and several small unnecessary
> libraries quickly adds up.

AGREE

Two choices i see:

- Split up proftpd in two packages a plain and a sql "enabled" proftpd.
- Let people wanting to use sql recompile the package (Easy switch in
  debian/rules) ...

The sql things are only needed for 1-3% of the people using proftpd
and the other 97% HAVE TO INSTALL the libraries.

The reason should be that people using an sql database for authentication
and/or logging are mostly the more experienced than the debian end
user which just want to have SOME FTP SERVER.

So it should be acceptable for the more experienced to just recompile
the package ...

Flo (Who does not like this bloat)
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
  ...  The failure can be random; however, when it does occur, it is