Re: all xterms

Jean-Christophe.Dubacq@ens-lyon.fr wrote:

> ...is already supported. Doesn't any good makefile use the CC
> variable? I think this is the default behavior.

Sure, but it's supported by only one program, make, and only for
makefiles that abide by this convention.  It is not a universal
convention that must be supported by any program that might call the
C compiler.  Furthermore, we don't have to write a wrapper script to
enforce it.  This is simply a convenient feature provided by make's
default rules.

> Of course, you should also have in your environment alias cc="$CC" or
> something.

Of course, you should only do this if you have defined CC before you set
this alias, and CC should NOT be set to 'cc'.  Keep in mind that if you
later change CC to something else, the alias will still point to the old
definition, so you should be wary when depending on it.

Brian