Re: potato NIS on NFS-Root

On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 08:21:18PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone got NIS to work on a NFS-Root computer?
>
> When I upgraded a potato NFS-Root image to the latest version, something
> broke, and now ypbind always complains that a copy is already running.
> It quotes a PID of a non-existant process.
>
> (actually I am a bit out-of-date, since I removed NIS as a file
> conflicts with the hostname package - but there are already a number of
> bugs reports on this).
>
> I seem to remember the same problem occuring with an earlier version
> of NIS. I filed bug report #48628 against it, but the maintainer seems
> unable to identify the problem (then again, my reply isn't in the bug
> tracking system - better check on that).
>
> This problem makes NIS quite unusable for me :-(
> --
> Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>

I believe this is a problem of file locking under NFS.  I tried to do
this a while back, and got frustrated.  NIS requires file locking to
work.  And some Linux NFS implementations don't support it.  I believe
that the 2.2.14 (pre) kernel has the new knfs stuff integrated.

BTW, if you strace ypbind you can see the lock failing.

Good luck.

Greg
--
Greg Johnson                          gjohnson@physics.clarku.edu