/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfoobar

I am having a current potato-machine (i386) sitting here and it works
quite fine so far.  But what puzzles me is that it doesn't find libraries
when you put their path in /etc/ld.so.conf although ldconfig -v suggests
that it found them all right.  Also, if I add a -L flag to
compiler/linker it works fine, too!  We are having a slightly exotic
multi-platform Linux cluster here, where additional libraries for
Intel-based systems need to go into /usr/local/lib_i386/.  Is there some
kind of philosophy behind this or is it just a bug which should be
reported?  (The same setup works on slink.)

Cheers
   -rbk.
--
Richard Kreckel