[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Status of Potato

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 11:27:48AM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > In either case, if it's true that a lot of bugs can be fixed in a short
> > time, there will be no much harm in delaying the freeze a week or two.
> > On the contrary, if it turns to be that fixing RC bugs is not as easy as
> > it may seem, freezing now may result in a long freeze period, something
> > that we always wanted to avoid "for the future" but we are near to repeat
> > again.
> How do you propose to make sure that people only upload new versions of
> software that don't contain bugs?

I'm not proposing to make sure of anything, but if we freeze now, I'm
*sure* that the freeze will last much longer than expected.

I would propose that we set a threshold for the number of release-critical
bugs and decide about the freeze accordingly.

Example: "potato will be frozen as soon as the number of RC bugs among the
set of the 200 most popular packages is lower than 10".

I advocate for some kind of "scientific approach" to decide about the
freeze time. "Potato looks ready to freeze" is very subjective.


 "b45e3a314bfd64692dd22a8b3e7520f2" (a truly random sig)

Reply to: