Re: ppp.log

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 07:06:41PM +0100, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> [...]
Initially after syslogd creates this logfile it's owned by root.root and
worldrreadable. I had a hard time to figure out what happend as my dip
users weren't able to read it any more after a week.
Solution: a cron job is rotation logs once a week and ppp.log is one of
them. But instead of preserving group and owner it sets all logs it
rotates to root.adm. I wonder if it would be a great security trade off
if the attributes of the logfiles are preserved on rotating. (That's the
way I do it right now after slightly modifying the cron-script)

Any opinions on that??

Thanks,
Matthias

--
created at Mon Nov  1 21:08:11 CET 1999
|SnailMail: Matthias Berse/Bachstr. 28/44625 Herne|

This wasn't just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible.  This was terrible
with raisins in it.
		-- Dorothy Parker