Re: ppp.log

On 01-Nov-99 Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 02:44:15PM +0100, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
>> Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Tomasz Wegrzanowski's letter:
>> > If user is in group dip he can use pon and poff but
>> > he cant use plog to see why dial failed etc.
>> > I think such user should be able to use plog also
>> > so /var/log/ppp.log should be own by root.dip not root.adm
>>
>> i had the same problem. a "rm /var/log/ppp.log" and a reboot solved
>> the problem (i had to reboot anyway, you can touch the file and assign
>> right permissions to it [my ppp.log actually is root.root 644.])
>
> Maybe we will make this file world-readable or group dip.
> It would solve the entire problem once and for all.

Just one thing to consider: the last versions of pppd is have used logged in
debug mode the dial-in passwords in clear text. So if you really change that to
world-readable I suggest that you also patch pppd to a more reasonable behavior
(i.e. not write any passwords in clear text to logfiles).

-Peter

Even the thought that a ship was waiting to take him back to Earth
did not wipe out the sense of loss he felt at that moment.
Email: Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Peter Pregler / RISC, University of Linz, Austria