Re: Installed netmask 2.3.1 (source i386)

On Nov 01, Alexander Koch wrote:
> On Sun, 31 October 1999 20:04:04 -0000, Robert Stone wrote:
> > Maintainer: Robert Stone <talby@debian.org>
> >  netmask    - helps figure our network masks
> > Changes:
> >  netmask (2.3.1) unstable; urgency=low
> >  .
> >    * Initial Release.
>
> I have seen that thing on freshmeat and thought "argh,
> someone will package it!" and someone did. Do we really
> need that package? It takes 5 seconds longer to calculate
> the CIDR from .224 to /27 ... if you know a bit about it.
>
> Yet again more packages...?

I tend to disagree; unless you can visualize bitmasks in your head, or
work with them every day, such a tool seems eminently useful.  More
useful than having to look up the methodology for netmasks in "TCP/IP
Network Administration" or some other book.

IMHO, of course.

Chris
|         Chris Lawrence        |            Visit my home page!            |
|    <quango@watervalley.net>   |      http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/      |
|    Grad Student, Pol. Sci.    |    Join the party that opposed the CDA    |
|   University of Mississippi   |             http://www.lp.org/            |