Preparing the Release / Freezing potato

(headers trimmed)

  Martin>  . I still haven't seen an announcement what to do with the FHS
  Martin> transition and which policy versions should be used for potato
  Martin> packages.  Additionaly when I have asked other developers they
  Martin> could only shrug their head.

Maybe you asked the wrong people? I use Policy 3.0.1 and follow Wichert's
recommendation to break the logjam.

  Martin>    There *is* confusion wether to use /usr/share/man or /usr/man,
  Martin> /usr/share/info or /usr/info and /usr/share/doc or /usr/doc, also
  Martin> where, if and when to add softlinks somewhere.

Well: "If in doubt, use /usr/share/{doc,man,info}."  I've converted almost
all my packages (and the ones I haven't potentially await other updates).
It is straightforward thanks to debhelper (but I still managed to slip a bug
into one package (time)).

  Martin> Therefore I propose to postpone the freeze (and the release) for at
  Martin> least two months, hoping to get the FHS issue, Incoming and
  Martin> boot-floppies resolved.

I disagree. I prefer a firm deadline _soon_ to kick our butts into motion. Or
else we might still plan for a release in 2007.

Dirk

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless.