Re: Debian archive requirements

Tim Ferrell writes:

 > Hmmm... this seems strange to me (unless I have missed something) because
 > I mirror unstable binary-i386 main contrib non-free and non-us and it is
 > only about 1.8GB. I have my mirror set up just like a subset of the ftp
 > tree (symlinks to files under slink and binary-all) and I run mirror every
 > few days to update it.

Well, I recently switched from the 'rsync' script I found at
www.debian.org/mirror to apt-move.  Telling apt-move to exclude stuff
like quake, bible-kjv, kernel-image-*, kernel-source-*, and packages
for those languages I don't speak, I managed to whittle it down to
about a gigabyte.

However, this doesn't change the fact that the entire canonical archive is over
10 gigabytes.  I recently fired off an email to the university I'm
studying at asking if they would be interested in mirroring Debian.
They are currently mirroring the RedHat distribution.  Later, I
realized that their FTP server only has a 6 GB disk (it's an older
Sun system).  I imagine they were probably intimidated by the sentence
"roughly 9GB (and growing)"[1], because they never replied.

[1] http://www.debian.org/mirror/size

--
Colin Walters <levanti@verbum.org>
http://web.verbum.org/levanti