Re: ash/echo/POSIX/SUS

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 11:44:40AM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > "If your script works with `ash', it's probably POSIX compliant, [...]"
> >
> > An ash which is restrictive in which it accepts helps to indentify
> > non-POSIX-conformant shell scripts more than one which is not so
> > restrictive.
> It is not ash's job to be a POSIX shell script validation suite.

Well, it is not dpkg's job to be a validation suite for duplicated files
in Debian packages, however --force-overwrite is turned off by default
during unstable and everybody agrees this is a good thing.

If there were too many packages having duplicated files, we would probably
turn --force-overwrite on by default during unstable, I agree, and I'm
glad the ash maintainer decided to postpone this change for now, but the
only difference here seems to be the number of packages affected.

 "635cdf6d4f3d35179a1394ce83fe7bf0" (a truly random sig)