Re: ash/echo/POSIX/SUS

On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 11:44:40AM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> "If your script works with `ash', it's probably POSIX compliant, [...]"
>
> An ash which is restrictive in which it accepts helps to indentify
> non-POSIX-conformant shell scripts more than one which is not so
> restrictive.

It is not ash's job to be a POSIX shell script validation suite.

It is ash's job to be a Bourne-compatible shell.  It is valuable to many
people because it accomplishes that end in much less space than bash.

A POSIX shell script validator would be a useful thing to have, but I don't
think we should draft ash into that service by default.  Maybe if the
environment variable POSIX_ME_HARDER is set...

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    It doesn't matter what you are doing,
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    emacs is always overkill.