Re: Stop archive bloat: 47MB gmt-coast-full_19991001-1.deb

On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 10:13:08PM +0200, Sami Dalouche wrote:
> * USEFUL : here, we shouldn't add ALL the normal packages but packages
>  that are often needed on a system that the X window system, TeTeX, SGML
> tools, standart developpment software to be able to compile a kernel and
> other C/C++ software, a Java VM, .... but not the weird developpment
                                                    ^^^^^
> packages that allows programming in unknown programming languages or do very
                                      ^^^^^^^
> particulary things related to high level science or other things I don't
                                                                   ^^^^^^^
> understand....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> * OPTIONAL : ALL USEFUL packages but that are useful to less people like
> Gnome & KDE software, unused window managers, ...
                        ^^^^^^

Seems extraordinarly subjective to me. "ALL USEFUL packages"? If someone
packaged it, then someone thinks it's useful. "unknown" programming languages?
They're apparently known to someone.  Things you don't understand? ! ?

The current policy on sections works because of its clarity - there are few
subjective decisions. This system is very, very subjective.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org