Re: emacs 20.4

David Welton <davidw@master.debian.org> writes:

> So, I got tired of not having an emacs 20.4, and packaged it.  It took
> very little time.
>
> However, I'm not sure I got it right, so I'm putting t up for public
> perusal at http://master.debian.org/~davidw/emacs/.  I am of course
> looking for comments suggestions, etc...
>
> I realize the orig.tar.gz is missing from the .changes - I'll fix that
> when I upload it.

You mean upload it to the distribution?  I'd really prefer you didn't,
unless everyone's happy with it being clobbered with my version when
I'm finished with it.

The reason this has taken so long, other than the standard issue,
real-world constraints, is that I was asked by RMS to work with them
to merge our diffs into the upstream version in a "clean" fashion.
I've been doing this, and I had originally intended to have all this
work done before releasing 20.4.

However, it has taken a lot longer than I expected, going back and
forth, in an attempt to fix things in ways that make everyone happy.
As a result, I have changed my tactics, and I'm planning to get a 20.4
out in the next week that incorporates some of the future fixes, but
not the whole overhaul.  I'm just waiting for us to agree on a final
mail-spool/mail-lib-locking patch for uptream inclusion --- hopefully
I'll hear back today.

Sorry for the long delay, but I *have* been actively working on this.

(I don't mind at all if you keep an apt-able version somewhere,
 though, for the interim.)