Re: Request for Info: Why Linux over NT (Debian over others?)

At 01:54 PM 10/27/99 +0200, Look wrote:
> > > Does anyone know of a short comparison or similar that these folks can
> > > use for their conferece?  I'm only aware of the existance of a large
> > > comparison report (20+ pages).  Anyone know of anything smaller?
> >
> >This is what I was looking for:
> >
> >         The UNIX versus NT Organization
> >         http://www.unix-vs-nt.org/
>
> Excellent!
>
> What stuff do you have more (including the 20+ stuff ;-)

Uhm, I'm looking for info about Debian versus other Linux distributions.
Not for me, but for my chief. He knows Linux is better than nt by now,
but now I have to justify the choice for Debian..

This is just what I currently know, there may be some discrepancies:

NOT:
- Sue: It has property software on the CD (their installer),
       it illegal to copy.
- Caldera: It has a GUI installer -and- boot up, not the best way to setup
           a server.
- RedHat:  The base system is large (>120Mb). There are quite some
           inconsistencies in the packages, Debian is more stable.
- Slackware: They are back after a long time, they have to catch up
             first (are they still BETA?).

MY recommendation (emphasis on MY):
- Debian: THE choise for a good server.
- Mandrake: THE choise for a good workstation.

I invite everybody to correct me if I have the FACTS wrong!
You could also give some additional arguments ;-)

Regards,

Onno

PS: Ook hoi terug, dds = digitale stad??? Wat is je functie?
    Hebben jullie connecties met xs4all ???
    Ik ben niet nieuwsgierig ofzo, ik wil alleen graag alles
    weten ;-) Veel success met je baas!