Re: WWW Pages of debians packages (fwd)

On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 12:48:05PM -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> I am forwarding your message to the debian-devel mailing list for comment.
> Currently there is a link to the copyright file which contains the name of
> the upstream maintainer but I agree it should probably be in a more
> prominent location too.  The pages are auto-generated from the Packages.g
> file I believe so there will probably have to be a new field in
> there called author or upstream-maintainer or something.  I will leave to
> the list to determine how hard this would be to implement.
>
> Btw, the maintainer name is not there for any egoistic reasons but so that
> if someone has questions or problems with the package they know who to
> contact.  No disrespect to the authors is intended.

Speaking from the point of view what the webmasters, the change would be
trivial IF policy is changed...

The package pages are generated by a script.  There is, currently, no
guaranteed or even promising or consistant (or any other word) way to
extract that information.

That information would need to be put in some easily extractable format.
Before anyone suggests the copyright file, that would work BUT the entries
are freeform and sometimes missing altogether.  There's no guarantee that
the output would have any meaning or that there would be an output.