Re: Debian base tarballs

David Welton <davidw@master.debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 10:18:11PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
>
> > First what exactly is a "Linuxcare Bootable Business Card"?
>
> CD's the size of a business card, with about 30 megs of space on them,
> that Linuxcare has been giving out at trade shows.
>
> http://lwn.net/1999/features/LinuxWorld/Freebies.phtml
>
> > I´m working on a live-filesystem (demo-fs) for debian and I have to do
> > the very same you want to do to create the demo-fs filesystem.

I though it would be something like that. :)
My demofs would be exctly the thing to put on such a CD. Currently I
have a 20 MB tar.gz file that contains the full filesystem minus
dpkg/i18n/doc stuff. A ext2compr loopback file shouldn´t be much
bigger, so there would be 10 MB left for games. Also some packages can
be left out from the current setup.

> It seems this is a common enough thing... maybe we should make a
> Debian installation to install Debian to a directory.
>
> > PS: Its not the official debian way to unpack/configure the base by
> > hand, but it should give an identical result with my script compared
> > to the normal insallation routine (I do a md5sum check to ensure
> > that).
>
> What is the "official debian way"?

Maybe you can mount the root.bin, do a chroot to there and start
dbootstrap. Then you can install to another partition.

I haven´t tried that yet with the potato disks (they are at my
university waiting for a zip to carry them home :), but I will soon.

The official way would be to boot with the rescue disks and install by
hand, but thats not realy workable if you want to automate the
process.

As I said above, my script would be exactly what you need to create
the live filesystem. That plus a bootdisk (on which I also work) will
give you the isofs to burn on CD.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin