Re: Debian base tarballs

David Welton <davidw@master.debian.org> writes:

> So, I am now working on the Linuxcare Bootable Business Card, as well
> as, on my own, putting Debian on an RS6000 that we have here.
>
> In both cases, I want to do the following:
>
> dump base*.tgz out into a directory and configure it.  Extracting it
> is not the problem, but I need to gain a more thorough understanding
> of how it goes from being untarred to being configured, as well as
> some of the attendant features.  Is this the right place for this
> discussion or would the bootdisks lists be better?  It's not so much
> that I am actually, at this point, creating the bootable image, but
> the larger filesystems that will be used...
>
> Thanks,

First what exactly is a "Linuxcare Bootable Business Card"?

I´m working on a live-filesystem (demo-fs) for debian and I have to do
the very same you want to do to create the demo-fs filesystem.

My scripts are at

ftp://mirjam.uni-tuebingen.de/debian/demofs/bootCD-1999-10-26.tar.bz

I developed and tested it on i386 and havent tested it for other archs
jet, but it should work with some small changes, esspecially the user
configurable stuff right at the start.

The script will install the base.tgz from slink and update it to
current potato and configure it to be a running system. At the end it
will then make some changes to make the system readonly, but you could
change that easily.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin

PS: Its not the official debian way to unpack/configure the base by
hand, but it should give an identical result with my script compared
to the normal insallation routine (I do a md5sum check to ensure
that).