Re: /etc/profile.d

* Massimo Dal Zotto said:

> > . /etc/environment
> > set +a
> >
> > --
> > Raul
>
> This is not the standard debian's profile. So you had to change it by hand
> on every machine you installed. And obviously it doesn't work with csh and
> probably other shells.
>
> Furthermore the /etc/environment has sh syntax and again it can't be used
> with csh. And as someone pointed out the values are not exported so they
> don't actually go in the environment but only in the sourcing shell.
>
> It seems that we already have many of the problems many people are telling,
> but is seems also to me the /etc/environment kludge is a bad way to do
> things which could be done with a well-thought /etc/profile.d mechanism.
You all, guys, seem to forget about the pam_env module. If you login via
ssh, it parses /etc/environment on its own, as somebody already said. If you
login at the console or via rlogin, telnet then the /bin/login is invoked.
On potato it uses pam, just enable the pam_env module and it will set the
envvars before invoking the shell - they will use the inherited environment.
From /etc/pam.d/login:

# This module parses /etc/environment (the standard for setting
# environ vars) and also allows you to use an extended config
# file /etc/security/pam_env.conf.
# (Replaces the ENVIRON_FILE' setting from login.defs)
auth       required   pam_env.so

marek