Re: Something wrong with potato modutils

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> > Somehow, the depmod -a from init.d script seems to be not writing the
> > modules.dep. When I run depmod -a manually, the modules.dep gets
> > created. Next time, I boot, there is a old modules.dep in my
> > /lib/modules.
>
> How you have me confused.. how can the script not write modules.dep
> while you still get the error that modules.conf is older then that
> file? Something doesn't add up here..
>
> Wichert.

After compiling a kernel (after Friday evening's upgrade, I think)
manually or with make-kpkg, makes no difference, a depmod -a <version>
spews a list of all the modules and they show unresolved symbols. The
System.map-<version> is in place and its size is consistant with earlier
kernels compiled (that all work fine).

Kernels compiled before Friday that worked still work fine. All symbols
resolve. ALL NEW kernels compiled with modules result in unresolved
symbols for the modules. I compiled three kernel versions; 2.3.20, 2.2.10,
and 2.2.12 with the same result on two completely different machines.
Compiles on a machine left un-upgraded work normally.

I noted new libc6 and libc6-dev packages today. I guess I will try again
and see if things are fixed now.