Re: arch-specific binary-only rebuild

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 10:31:06AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 12:17:53PM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > > The changelog will not appear in all the binary packages produced
> > > since I won't be uploading a new diff.gz to propagate a new
> > > changelog.
> >
> > If it's a new binary version, it should have source to go with it.
> > And you can't reupload the binary package without a new version number.
>
> No, it's a recompile-only of the source package.
>
> For instance, ``foo_1.3-1'' would be numbered ``foo_1.3-1.0.1''.
> No new .diff.gz is uploaded.

No, i don't think so, ...

What if the person uploading the binary package did have to make some change to
the diff.gz in order of the package to be uploaded, and later is no more
joingable for whatever reason, There is no way of rebuilding the package
without having to make those changes again.

One solution would be to have the 1.0 to 1.0.1 diffs send to the BTS against
the package, instead of making it available as source package.

This way the sources of everything will be available, but we don't force
rebuilding of packages for the other arches, ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER