Re: Size of Debian a Problem? Forget it!

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Dpk wrote:

> I would hate to not be able to mirror the full Debian archive, and I
> don't really have the time to tinker with seeing how much I could
> archive.  I also think people/orgs that have donated, would be less
> likely to do so if there donation was deemed invaluable after a couple
> of months. (I know my department would think so if I could no longer
> mirror Debian on the disk we purchased)

Well, quite frankly that day is fast approaching. There are a full 4 new
arches on the horizen (at ~600-800meg a shot) and of course new packages.
I fully expect that at the end of the next release cycle we will be
extremely close to 16G for a full archive, 16G is about where an ordinary
ext2 FS on an 18G gets really uncomfortably full.

The policy we are going to be forced to implement is one of arch-specific
mirrors. The 3 main Debian archive boxes will continue to carry the whole
thing and all the secondary mirrors or going to have to be split
arch-wise. Already you see this, many secondary sites drop sid which
effectively removes hurd and ppc.

It looks likely that we (Debian) will be purchasing about another 30-40G
of space to keep up with archive growth - this is added to the monsterous
~140G that we already have online!

PS: Anyone thinking of installing a new drive for the archive, be *sure*
to adjust the inode ratio, you get another gig or so on these large disks.

Jason