Re: Size of Debian a Problem? Forget it!

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 09:51:49PM +0200, Juergen A. Erhard wrote:

> There's this current thread on the size of Debian's ftp archive
> (started with someone noting the size of `gmt-coast-full', ~47M)
>
> I think this is a moot discussion... just look at disk prize these
> days.  Here in Germany, a 20M IDE costs about DM 400 (~ US$ 230).
>
> Any mirror that can't afford that shouldn't be a mirror in the first
> place (IMHO).
>
> *And* if some mirror is important (it can't be replaced because no-one
> else wants to/can supply the bandwidth), there's that money Debian has
> in the bank (I heard rumors of about US$ 10000... that correct?  Well,
> even if it isn't, one can only guess at what the Debian box by
> SGI/VA/ORA will bring in ;-)
>
> So, I think we can pretty safely ignore this discussion...

Gee, you make it sound so simple. I guess we are all idiots, and should just
use the abundance of equipment we have just lying around. Oh yeah, and that
$10k will go a long way WRT bandwidth, might last us a year for a measely
T1 connection.

Oversimplifying this, and ignoring the situation...only makes it worse. I
suppose we should just ignore the size of everything in Debian and expect
our developers to all have endless amounts of RAM and disk space as well as
bandwidth. Who cares if the base.tgz even gets bigger. Oh, and while we are
at it, let's start compiling for 586 since everyone should be able to afford
a Pentium nowadays.

The point is, we decide everyday to place limits on things. We strive to make
our applications more and more lean, and use less disk space. Why should we
be any different with our archive?

Ben