Re: fwd: [tomsrtbt] More "Tom doesn't like .RPM _or_ .DEB"

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 10:09:38AM +0100, David Damerell wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt
> >On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 05:11:52PM +0100, David Damerell wrote:
> >>In particular, it would be nice if Tom's rescue disc could pick apart
> >>.debs and .rpms. RPM is basically a lost cause, but .debs look feasible;
> >>in particular, if the outer file was a tarfile and not an arfile it would
> >Why not include ar? It's only 29k on my slink system.
>
> On a 1722k rescue floppy much of which is taken up by essential
> infrastructure, that's a _lot_ for a tool you don't expect to use for
> anything else.

Then check the code for dpkg-deb, in the dpkg source. I'm sure that you can
strip this program down to the bare minimum (ripping the build code, getting
all the info functions out, and just leave the extract code). Right now
dpkg-deb is 36k on my system. If stripped down, I'm sure it could get as small
as 20k (maybe even smaller).

Ben