Re: New-maintainer proposal

On Sun, Oct 17, 1999 at 02:02:26PM +0000, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> > Most (um.. this is a guess, I don't know) maintainers *aren't*
> > subscribed to -devel as it is, so you it certainly currently fails its
> > goal as a place where important traffic can be discussed.
>
> The fact that developers can _not_ subscribe to devel is a _large_
> mistake.

You could always have a /dev/null rule in your procmailrc for it, ...

-devel is so huge, most of us have other things to do than read -devel.

> > Also note that some people may not consider this important traffic.
>
> Then they should not have accepted a developer position with the Debian
> project.

We did not accept to be developer to pass 2 hours and more each day reading
mail. That is possible for people who have no other thing to do than following
debian mail, but not for people with real work.

> > Some people may be content to trust that Wichert and the -project
> > readers will sort out the new-maintainer issue, while they get on with
> > developing...
> >
> And then they find out something was "done behind their backs" and we have
> another slash and burn flame war.

No, since nothing should be decided before it is discussed and voted on
debian-vote, and spoken of in debian-weekly-news, at least.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER