Re: slink -> potato

On 16-Oct-99, 19:09 (CDT), Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 12:59:36AM -0700, Yves Arrouye wrote:
> > It would be nice if apt-get would be smart enough, when you don't
> > have enough space, to download in chunks, erasing the .deb between
> > downloads. I'm sure there's a way for it to choose what to get so that
> > dependencies are respected.
>
> if you don't have enough space on any partition then you don't have
> much choice but to do the upgrade by hand.
>
> first run "apt-get -s {dselect,dist,}-upgrade" to get an idea of the
> correct install order and then run "apt-get install p1 p2 p3 ... pN",
> "rm -f /var/cache/apt/archives/*", "apt-get install pN+1 pN+2 ... pX"
> unti it's done.

Another way to work around this is to use dselect. After 'Update', go
to the "select" screen and put all the updated packages on hold (by
pressing '=' or 'H' on the appropriate header line, not by going to
each package :-). Then incrementally "un=hold" groups of packages,
probably in priority order (required, important) and then possibly
section (assuming that packages in a given section may need to be
upgraded together). The good thing about this approach is that it
enforces dependency issues, and lets you make adjustments (apt-get
install enforces it too, but by downloading/installing unspecified
packages, so it's less interactive). The bad part is continually
battling "recommends" in the conflict-resolution screen; remember that
'R' and 'Q' are your friends.

That said, it *would* be a nice feature in apt-get upgrade. Particularly
if I could set a minimum free space parameter, rather than have apt-get
use all available space. Another solution/neat feature would be to be
able to specify mulitple caches.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <vmole@swbell.net>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read