Re: Essential bloat [was: Debian on CDROM]

David Bristel <targon@targonia.com> writes:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Clint Adams wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:40:45 -0400
> > From: Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org>
> > To: Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
> > Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org, debian-boot@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: Re: Essential bloat [was: Debian on CDROM]
> >
> > > Nobody in his right mind uses disks anymore. You eigther have a
> > > network to somewehre (internet or local net) or you store the stuff on
> > > a CD, zip or partition.
> >
> > I use floppies for every installation I do.  And quite frequently
> > the system has some wacky NIC that requires a kernel recompile with
> > a patched driver before it will even talk to the net.
> >
> > If nobody in his right mind uses disks anymore, why do we have 1.2M and
> > 1.44M floppy images?
> Probably for the 100 or so people in the USA and millions of less technically
> driven people around the world who still run old 386 and 486 computers without a
> network connection or CD-ROM drive.  Here in the USA, it is much more difficult
> to find people who want to run Linux and have anything less than a 486 with
> CD-ROM drive, but they are still out there, trying to learn, and finding it
> difficult.

They will all have some existing OS, so hey can easily download all
the required stuff to a partition and boot with the rescue and drivers
disks only. No need to make base disks.

Debian should force diskless methods a bit more in the dcumentation,
its far easier, faster and more conftabe than make basedisks.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin

PS: I don´t opt against base disks, but their use should be the last
resort when all else fails.