Re: Essential bloat

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 02:32:28PM -0400, David Huggins-Daines wrote:
> (Massive Cc: list trimmed)
>
> On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 05:49:52PM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> > David Benson wrote:
> > > Yes, an option to "download the base via ftp" would be very
> > > nice as well.
> >
> > It has always been possible (well, always meaning slink and, IIRC, hamm)
> > to have the base_XXX.tgz available by NFS.  Which is how I've done every
> > installation I've ever done.
>
> Yes, but that's only a solution if you can NFS mount a volume with the base
> system on it.  Even if there are public NFS mirrors of the Debian archive
> out there on the Net somewhere, there shouldn't be :)
>
> I think he's talking about being able to take a net-connected machine, say
> "install via FTP" or "install via HTTP" and have it pull the base system
> down from a public mirror site.

I've planned on doing this already.  My approach is to use wget to provide
ftp/http access (compressed 56k/i386 and 64k/powerpc).  The support should
not be limited to just loading the base.  Advanced machines have the
need to be able to load the rescue/drivers over the network as well (this
includes high-end i386 systems which have BIOS tftpboot capability).

Of course, this is just wishlist stuff since we are missing the task
selection GUI which is a critical item.  I'm going to work on that, but
I've got to finish pulling the rest of the powerpc boot-floppies release
together.

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com