Re: Essential bloat

David Huggins-Daines wrote:

> (Massive Cc: list trimmed)
>
> On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 05:49:52PM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> > David Benson wrote:
> > > Yes, an option to "download the base via ftp" would be very
> > > nice as well.
> >
> > It has always been possible (well, always meaning slink and, IIRC, hamm)
> > to have the base_XXX.tgz available by NFS.  Which is how I've done every
> > installation I've ever done.
>
> Yes, but that's only a solution if you can NFS mount a volume with the base
> system on it.  Even if there are public NFS mirrors of the Debian archive
> out there on the Net somewhere, there shouldn't be :)

For a long time sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk was publically NFS exported.  I
don't think it is any more.  Hmm.  It works for me.  Possibly it only
works if you're inside JANET. (i.e. .ac.uk).

In any case, many people have machines locally that they can nfs-export
things from.  If they don't, then maybe they'll find CD more convenient
anyway.

> You can stream an FTP/HTTP download into gzip+tar, all you need is an
> appropriately tiny client that will do this.

Hmm.  I wasn't saying this was a bad idea.  Just that I've always done
it with NFS :)
I agree that HTTP support is desirable.  (FTP is slightly harder)

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |