Re: Program to see if GNU/Linux will run?

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Is there a project to develop a program that you can put onto a floppy
> or CD, and stick into a PC in a store, and it will tell you whether
> Linux and X11 can support the machine properly?
>
> If you know of such a project, please tell me.  If I don't
> find out about one, I will try to get one started.

The Debian Demo-FS CD/ZIP/Package will support such:

http://mirjam.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/debian/

To be released this week. The first release will use an vesa
framebuffer to boot and run X, works great on Notebooks and should
work on nearly any system.

Sound will be left out for the moment, but maybe someone helps out
after the first release.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin