Re: New dpkg upload - please test!

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 05:03:13AM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> dpkg ( unstable; urgency=low
>>   * non-maintainer release.
>>   * Move dselect into its own package
>To what end? No offence is intended to any maintainers, but
>some of the splits lately seem a bit pointless to me. After recent
>runs of 'apt-get dist-upgrade', I've been left without telnet,
>ftp and rlogin; these are so small it hardly seems worth the
>effort of separating them.

Splitting telnet is good if you want telnet98, ssl-telnet, or some other
replacement.  Splitting ftp is good if you only ever want ncftp client.
Rlogin is evil and is the sort of thing I have removed from client's machines
just to stop them getting bad ideas.  Rm'ing a file from a package is often a
bad thing, but just choosing to remove a small package and then giving
someone the option of installing it if they REALLY want it is much friendlier.

I'm in Utrecht.  I'd like to meet any Linux users in the area, or any other
part of the Netherlands.