Re: New dpkg upload - please test!

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 05:03:13AM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> dpkg (1.4.1.15) unstable; urgency=low
>>
>>   * non-maintainer release.
>>   * Move dselect into its own package
>
>To what end? No offence is intended to any maintainers, but
>some of the splits lately seem a bit pointless to me. After recent
>runs of 'apt-get dist-upgrade', I've been left without telnet,
>ftp and rlogin; these are so small it hardly seems worth the
>effort of separating them.

Splitting telnet is good if you want telnet98, ssl-telnet, or some other
replacement.  Splitting ftp is good if you only ever want ncftp client.
Rlogin is evil and is the sort of thing I have removed from client's machines
just to stop them getting bad ideas.  Rm'ing a file from a package is often a
bad thing, but just choosing to remove a small package and then giving
someone the option of installing it if they REALLY want it is much friendlier.

--
I'm in Utrecht.  I'd like to meet any Linux users in the area, or any other
part of the Netherlands.