Re: Essential bloat [was: Debian on CDROM]

[ObFollowup: Followup to debian-boot please.]

Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> writes:

> > would be preferred.  This way I can get my standalone machine working
> > without purchasing a million floppies.
>
> This was ridiculous at 6 disks, but now?
>
>  base2_2.tgz             12-Oct-1999 02:39  15.5M
> This covers packages, but not their contents.  In order to cut down the
> cruft in the base system, I think we need to split the base packages into
> Essential and not-so-essential components.

Woah woah woah there.  'base2_2.tgz' is big right now because
perl/perl-base or adduser is buggy such that to get 'adduser' to work
we have to include full perl.

This is a known problem and a temporary state of affairs.

Library reduction may or may not be used.

Don't mess with essential unless things settle down a bit.

> I'm told that a zealous paring can get base down to a few megs.

Sure, but then you have partial base packages installed, which is
kinda evil if you ask me.

Boot-floppies is based on the theory that base is more-or-less
composed of the package in the 'base' section, and that they are
more-or-less the same packges you'd get if you installed them
normally.  This means that we'll never compete with Tom's Boot Disk
and suchlike, but then, we all have better stuff to do anyway.