start daemons according to current runlevel upon upgrade

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 12:37:48PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 12:14:11AM +0200, Ingo Saitz wrote:
> > Perhaps every postinst shold do something like this:
> >   if test -e /etc/rc`runlevel | cut -d\  -f2`.d/S??$DAEMON; then
> >     /etc/init.d/$DAEMON start
> >   fi
> This doesn't work for people using file-rc (which uses files to describe
> runlevels instead of directories and symlinks).

OK, you're right. But that would be too complicated to include it
in every postinst skript.

I have created two scripts named start-rc.d. One for runlevel links and
one for file-rc. I think, they should be included in the corresponding
packages which contain the update-rc.d skript (dpkg and file-rc).

I have attached these two files to this email. Please have a look if you
like them and feel free to include them.

I think that every package that would start a daemon in its postinst
should use these files to start it.

What's the difference between cold tee and cold coffee?
  Cold coffe doesn't taste good even if it would still be hot.