Running daemons without asking for permission on install

"Martin Bialasinski" <martin@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de>:
> [If] I install a daemon, I want to use it.

However, if you install a daemon by mistake, or without knowing it,
it would be nice to be alerted to this fact. Such things might happen
because you didn't know that, say, linuxconf or Gnome run daemons, or
because the program you want to install requires a daemon to be running.
I'm not sure if the correct solution to this is to ask a question on
install, but at least it's better than to do things without warning.

Which reminds me, it might be nice for Debian to run something akin to a
port scanner locally from cron.daily or something, so that the sysadmin
will notice such problems better. (Optionally, and not reporting ports
that the sysadmin knows are OK.)

--
Stupid little mailer under construction, sorry for any problems.