PAM/login troubles in newest Potato

Greetings, I originally send this message to debian-powerpc and was informed
that this was a general problem. Any help would be appreciated.

------- Forwarded Message

From: "'Dread Pirate' Nick Rusnov" <nick@intus.net>

Greetings, I'm having a bit of trouble with non-root user accounts on my
freshly installed Potato.

I created a new account, eg nick with useradd, and logged into it, at which time I was
prompted for a new password. Fine I thought, makes sense. I changed it, and then logged
into another console, and was prompted to change my password again!

Well, no matter what I do it seems to always require me to change my password on
login; I tried mucking with the expiries, I tried changing the password with passwd
both as root and as nick.. and yet it still claims that the password has expired
after /one use/.

any hints?

thanks.

as always,