Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality

On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 03:32:25PM +0200, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:
>> Bzzt. Security is more important than usability. We're not building
>> windows 2000 here...
>
> Ii I install a daemon, I want to use it.

That doesn't account for daemons installed by default or daemons
installed by accident by people who are trying to install everything
because they're not sure what they want. If what you said was true, the
various imap and mountd exploits that have given linux such a bad rep
would never have been the problem that they are.

> If you fear for security, then the default config of this package is
> not good enough, not the fact that it is shipped in a "ready to use"
> condition.

Yes. The default config of activating a bunch of stuff by default is not
good enough.

Mike Stone