Re: problems with the perl5 packages

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 01:32:29PM +0000, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > So, why are there packages with depends lines that include both perl5 and
> > a particular version, like perl-5.005?
>
> When a package depends on a virtual package which is provided by multiple
> real packages, but none of these are already installed (hint: new
> installation of the whole system), APT and dselect will be confused and not
> know what to do, because they can't just make a guess and install a package
> when several equal (to them) options are present. [1]
[...]

I thought at least dselect does make a guess, but I may be wrong. Anyway,
a default is provided by lines like "Depends: perl-5.005 | perl5".
In contrast, "Depends: perl-5.005, perl5" should be equivalent to
"Depends: perl-5.005" (except perhaps for some trickeries involving
Conflicts: / Replaces: ).

Bj"orn Brill <brill@fs.math.uni-frankfurt.de>
Frankfurt am Main, Germany