Re: problems with the perl5 packages

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 01:32:29PM +0000, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> So, why are there packages with depends lines that include both perl5 and
> a particular version, like perl-5.005?

When a package depends on a virtual package which is provided by multiple
real packages, but none of these are already installed (hint: new
installation of the whole system), APT and dselect will be confused and not
know what to do, because they can't just make a guess and install a package
when several equal (to them) options are present. [1]

Anyway, that's just one possible explanation, it might not be valid in
this particular case.

[1] What a large sentence... :)

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name