Re: problems with the perl5 packages

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Le Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 05:24:32PM +0000, Dale Scheetz écrivait:
> > After looking over things, both perl-5.004 and perl-5.005 replace perl and
> > provide perl5, but neither of them provide perl!
>
> This has been done so voluntary. And perl-5.005-base conflicts with perl
> ... you should upgrade your packages that depends on perl. At least on
> i386, no package does depend on perl (all packages depend either on
> perl5 or perl-5.005).

This brings up another issue. Both perl-5.004 and perl-5.005 provide
perl5, but it was my understanding that these two versions were
"substantially" different, at least during installation I got a long story
about how I would need to convert databases to the new perl version. It
was my understanding that this was, in fact, the reason for constructing
the package names so that they could both be installed at the same time,
yet they both claim to be perl5!

Thanks,

Dwarf