Re: Invalid cross-device link

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 11:13:31 +0300, Edvard Majakari wrote:
> update-alternatives: unable to rename /usr/man/man1/w.1.gz to /usr/share/man/man1/w.1.gz: Invalid cross-device link

This is a known bug in update-alternatives:
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/42/42559.html

> I do know the reason - /usr/share is an NFS-mounted directory from the
> server. For several reasons I didn't want to mount the whole /usr
> directory hierarchy, just /usr/share (isn't it why it's called share?-).
> What can I do to fix this?

A workaround is probably to remove the link first. A proper solution would
be to fix update-alternatives to handle this situation (if you write a
patch, please send it to 42559@bugs.debian.org).

Ray
--
Tevens ben ik van mening dat Nederland overdekt dient te worden.