Re: history (Was Re: Corel/Debian Linux Installer)

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 07:30:37 -0500, David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu> wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 11:38:29AM +0100, Chris Rutter wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, David Bristel wrote:
>> Yes, either this or a FIFO expiration policy on /var/cache/apt/packages
>> which gets automatically applied when space runs out.  Or possibly
>> the option of using /tmp/.apt, with a warning message that the
>> packages are in there and need to be moved into the cache.
>
>Neither of these will help most people. Space running out can happen on
>one apt-run - nothing in the cache, slink -> potato. /tmp is usually on
>the / partition, which probably has less space than anything (and on
>many installs ends up on the / partition - at least that's how I was
>show to do it.)

I generally NFS mount /var/cache/apt from a larger machine when upgrading
small ones.  I have daemons that implement deletion of oldest files in
a directory structure but this doesn't help apt as David pointed out.

>> Alternatively, is there any other, er, `in bits' way that the
>> upgrade can be done?
>Check available space, download one bunch of files, install, delete
>the .debs, interate.

Indeed, the option (!) of doing download/unpack/configure/delete.deb
over each package instead of three distinct download/unpack/configure
phases would be really nice for limited-space machines.

--
I don't speak for Corel, I just work for them.  Use zygob@corel.ca for work,
zblaxell@furryterror.org for play, and zblaxell@feedme.hungrycats.org for PGP.