Re: sash (was Re: demo vs. real package: FYI (was ...))

On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 01:37:43PM -0400, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> Will this affect people who upgrade?  It would be very unpleasant to upgrade
> from slink and have a new root user.

Hmmm...

> Even for new installs, I disagree with your decision. sash is useful
> without another root account; however you require users who wish to
> use it this way to read your documentation on undoing the damage
> (which you hopefully provide) and take the (hopefully small) risk that
> you mess up the passwd file.

At the moment, I only provide documentation on what's happening, not
suggestions on how to manage this.

Also, if you can anticipate any failure modes where sash would damage
the password file I'd appreciate hearing about them.  It's already
the case that if sash has any problem writing out the new password
file that it won't install it.

> My opinion on prompting in the postinst is that, for all its
> disadvantages, there is a legitimate place for it within the current
> system. One question on sash install (not upgrade) would be fine if
> there is no clear default.

Ok, I'll put back a single install time question where the sysadmin has
one of several options: sash is inert and doesn't manage the password
file, sash will become the root shell, sash will create a sashroot
account from the current root account and use that as it's shell.

And some notes on how to change this.

--
Raul