Re: Too many kernels in unstable

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Hirling Endre wrote:

endre>On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Roland Rosenfeld wrote:
endre>
endre>> which would reduce the effort of the ftp maintainer and speed up
endre>> upgrading our ftp archive from 2.2.12 to 2.2.13.  The dependencies
endre>> between the kernels and the kernel depending modules could be realized
endre>> using versioned dependencies, couldn't they?
endre>>
endre>> Maybe we should add an unstable kernel to the stable versions above:
endre>>
endre>>         kernel-{doc,headers,image,source}-2.3   2.3.18-<debianrevision>
endre>
endre>
endre>The problem is that sometimes and for some architectures the 'stable'
endre>2.2 series kernels are less stable than, say, 2.1's, or for some
endre>architectures 2.2.x is stable, for others, 2.2.y... so older versions
endre>shouldn't be removed from the distribution too easily.

    Some people have suggested providing a package, say 2.2, with all
the 2.2.x source patches.  (I didn't look at the size, but the patches are
sometimes small and sometimes 1.5 MB).  It is not too inconvenient to
apply the patches to get to a specific kernel, and the source size is not
too big.  I never use the debian source packages; there are probably
additional technical issues.

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>