Re: Hosed system during package build

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> Upon rebooting the system, I got told that there was no console device, so
> I rebooted to my "emergency" slink system. (My normal development system
> is on hda1, with hda2 for swap, and hda3 for the slink system)
>
> /dev contained the empty directory /pty, and a |init* file.
> Recovering /dev from hda3 just brought up further errors:
> /etc/init.d and /etc/resolv.conf are gone, but most of /etc is still
> there.
>
> /bin is completely gone, as is /boot, although the system will still boot
> on either the hda3 kernel or the hda1 kernel (both of which reside in
> /dev/hda1/boot), so although the file system doesn't seem to know about
> these files, they are still there for LILO to use.

Saving the possibility of filesystem corruption based on disk failure (you
didn't mention a long complicated fsck, so I'll assume that there was not
one), the first thing that comes to mind is to ask you:

   You don't run your build script as the root user, do you?

In other words, you are using fakeroot to build your packages, right?  My
guess is that an errant "rm -fr *" started and ran until it whacked a
library it (or the "find" or whatever invoked it) was using.

  tony@mancill.com         |  I am a concientious man.
http://www.debian.org      |  When I throw rocks at seabirds,